Manager, Enterprise Development and Investment
Closing: Open until Filled
About the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves
The Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves (the “Alliance”) is a public-private partnership hosted by the United Nations Foundation, aiming to improve livelihoods and health, empower women, and protect the environment by creating a thriving global market for clean and efficient household cooking solutions. The Alliance’s ten-year goal calls for 100 million households to adopt clean and efficient cookstoves and fuels by 2020. We work in collaboration with 1,700 public, private, and non-profit partners to help overcome the market barriers that hinder the production, distribution, and adoption of clean cookstoves and fuels in the developing world. Note, we view the ‘sector’ holistically, including both stoves and fuels, and a range of technologies including biomass, LPG, ethanol, solar, induction, etc.
One of the key focus areas of the Alliance is to help clean cooking enterprises reach commercial viability and scale by supporting innovation, building capacity and financing growth. We have a strong culture of working through partnerships to ensure our social enterprise partners get the support they require for growth. We use grants and soft/patient capital to prepare businesses in the sector for rapid growth and commercial investment.
Over the past 4 years, the Alliance has deployed over $7m to help support clean cooking enterprises through various programs – Spark Fund, Catalytic Small Grants, Pilot Innovation Fund and the Women’s Empowerment Fund. In 2017, the Alliance launched the Spark+ Investment Readiness Program to provide investment-readiness support to selected enterprises so that they are prepared to raise investment for scale, and to be able to generate positive impact through the accelerated adoption of clean cooking solutions.
About the role
The Manager, Enterprise Development and Investment at the Alliance is responsible for supporting the development and implementation the its strategy to drive investment and grow the nascent but rapidly evolving clean cooking sector. The person who fills this role will be responsible for management of various activities which identify and support the development of an investment-ready pipeline of early-stage businesses serving the 3 Billion people, globally, who lack affordable, accessible and appropriate clean cooking solutions.
The Alliance’s enterprise development and investment strategy primarily consists of using grant and investment mechanisms – programs which enable the development and piloting of innovative technologies and business models, the scale-up of viable business models, and capacity building services to bridge the ‘investment-readiness gap’ – and by actively engaging with a variety of donors, investors, and other stakeholders relevant to financing the growth of the sector. Your responsibilities will include:
- Support management of Spark+ and other grant and capacity building/enterprise development programs including the negotiation of milestones, ad hoc advisory services to grantees, procurement of technical assistance/advisory providers, grant and investment administration as needed, and reporting. Provide portfolio companies with connections to mentors, other funders and investors and potential partners, and conduct site visits as necessary.
- Support other initiatives related to various key thematic aspects of growth of the sector including consumer finance/financial inclusion, trade barriers (e.g. VAT/duty), last mile distribution, etc.
- Implement Alliance strategies and interventions as they relate to the Alliance value proposition of increasing investment into the sector. Develop and adapt grant and investment funds based on lessons learned and best practices. Disseminate information about Alliance strategy and success.
- Support the Director in the development and cultivation of relationships with investors, including but not limited to angel investors, impact funds, DFIs, foundations and various types of donors.
- Provide input on Alliance initiatives (e.g. gender, technology innovation) as they apply to enterprise development.
- Support the implementation and usage of impact metrics applicable to clean cooking enterprises.
- Maintain and update impact investor and enterprise databases for the Alliance.
- Perform other duties and/or tasks as assigned.
This role will work closely with Alliance staff, will involve some degree of work with other UN Foundation staff, and will support the needs of Alliance stakeholders. The role will report directly to the Director, Enterprise Development and Investment.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Social Enterprise, Finance, or similar.
- 5-7 years of professional experience in emerging markets – ideally in private equity/venture capital, impact investing, or management consulting. Other relevant business/investment-oriented experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, clean cooking and/or energy access business models, preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to manage programs and multiple stakeholders.
- Personal commitment to Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves and UNF’s vision.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative while working within a team, and to develop and maintain effective working relationships with Alliance team and UNF staff.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with people from a wide variety of organizations and cultural backgrounds, and with a wide variety of functional expertise, in a demanding and fluid work environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Experience with Salesforce, preferred.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
Washington DC, or an Alliance focus country (Kenya, Uganda, Nigeria, Ghana, Bangladesh, India, China, or Guatemala)
Competitive; based on experience
If you think you are the right fit and are interested in this role, please send your CV and a brief cover letter to Peter George at firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP. Interviews will begin the week of December 4th, 2017.