Communications Manager, Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves
Closing: Open until Filled
Job Location US-DC
Type Regular Full-Time
The Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves (Alliance) is at the forefront of efforts to address the negative impacts of cooking with heavily-polluting stoves and fuels, which is a leading cause of household air pollution and a barrier to good health, a healthy environment, and multiple global development goals. With staff across five continents, the Alliance works with public, private, and non-profit partners to accelerate production, deployment, and use of clean cookstoves and fuels in developing countries. The Alliance has galvanized nearly 2,000 public and private sector organizations globally to help address this critical challenge, leveraging a market-based, systems approach to achieve universal access to clean cooking solutions by 2030.
The Manager, Communications, will help lead the Alliance’s global communications efforts including managing digital engagement, external relations, and content development. S/he will help develop and implement the overall communications strategy, supporting the Senior Director in ensuring the Alliance’s communications and advocacy activities help the Alliance meet its overall goals.
The Manager, Communications, will report to the Senior Director of Global Partnerships and Communications, while also working closely with Alliance global staff, with potential oversight of a Communications Associate, intern(s), and vendor relationships.
- Design and implement comprehensive communications strategies and campaigns that advance the work of the Alliance and its partners, in collaboration with program staff;
- Drive content creation and storytelling for the Alliance, ensuring that internal and external audiences are kept apprised of the Alliance’s work; incorporate success stories, reports, and other knowledge products into effective collateral and outreach tools
- Oversee all aspects of Alliance digital channels, including web and social media, keeping them current, relevant, and engaging while providing monthly reporting on growth and recommendations on improving reach and impact;
- Manage the creation, development, and implementation of effective media strategies that generate positive media coverage for the Alliance and its partners; manage overall reputation/image among key audiences, while monitoring and circulating relevant coverage;
- Oversee timely development, production, and promotion of Alliance monthly newsletter, including managing and enhancing contacts lists via a CRM system
- Manage a communications calendar to highlight opportunities for engagement;
- Provide Alliance team with editing services on important public-facing documents;
- Manager may oversee contracts and projects with communications vendors such as writers, designers and photographer/videographers, as well as communications consultants;
- Monitor, analyze, report on, and seek areas to enhance web, social media and email KPIs;
- Manage Alliance digital library, including photos, videos, and infographics;
- Maintain Alliance branding and messaging consistency internally and externally
- Work with the UN Foundation Public Affairs team and program staff to ensure content sharing and synergy across Foundation digital properties;
- Keep up-to-date on digital media and web industry standards and trends;
- Other projects and duties as may be assigned.
- Minimum 5-7 years of working on multifaceted communications programs;
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities efficiently and effectively;
- Excellent writing, editing, and oral communications skills. Proven experience drafting a wide range of content, including press releases, fact sheets, speeches, and op-eds;
- Extensive experience managing and developing content for web and social media channels to advance causes and keep key audiences engaged and informed
- Demonstrated time- and project-management skills, including an ability to meet multiple deadlines by maintaining a high level of organization. Ability to set priorities and identify resources;
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision. Flexible and able to routinely juggle multiple competing priorities and work in teams of both support and senior staff to meet project goals;
- Proficiency in CRM/CMS, EveryAction, InDesign, Photoshop, and WordPress preferable
- Experience with email segmentation and communication strategies, specifically for increasing action rates for fundraising and advocacy, also a plus;
- Confidence in presenting one's own ideas and diplomatically persuading others;
- Sense of humor, creative energy, proactive, and strong skills working in teams; problem solver; relationship-builder; and solid inter-personal skills;
- Multi-cultural experience, general knowledge of global issues and the UN system, and an understanding of the UN Foundation mission, programs, strategy and goals preferred;
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy;
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress;
- Willingness to travel (15-20%).
Benefits and Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- A choice of two health plans through CareFirst (PPO or HDHP with HSA),
- dental insurance,
- vision discounts,
- flexible spending accounts,
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution,
- group term and supplemental life insurance,
- short-term disability,
- long-term disability,
- health club discounts,
- commuter benefits, and
- employee assistance program.
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of parental leave.