Haiti Program Coordinator, Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves
Closing: Open until Filled
Job Location US-DC
Type Regular Full-Time
The Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves is a public-private partnership hosted by the UN Foundation to save lives, improve livelihoods, empower women, and protect the environment by creating a thriving global market for clean and efficient household cooking solutions. The Alliance’s 100 by ‘20 goal calls for 100 million households to adopt clean and efficient cookstoves and fuels by 2020. We are working with a strong network of public, private and non-profit partners to accelerate the production, deployment, and use of clean and efficient cookstoves and fuels in developing countries.
The Haiti Program Coordinator, Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves, is responsible for coordinating and supporting the development and implementation of the Haiti Clean Cooking Market Development Program to transform the market for cleaner and more efficient cookstoves and fuels.
This foundation building program will be executed over four-years, as part of a larger anticipated ten-year initiative. The objective of this program is to reduce negative climate, environment, economic, and health impacts from traditional cooking practices on the Haitian population, with a focus on reducing the disproportionate impacts on women and girls. The program aims to set the foundation for a long-term, sustainable transformation of the market that will strengthen and diversify the supply of cleaner and more efficient cookstoves and fuels.
Our efforts will entail a combination of sector-wide, market development activities, including: capacity-building support for government, stakeholders and clean cooking enterprises; advocacy and technical assistance to develop better policies and regulations; and support for sector coordination. The program will also advocate for the inclusion of women and girls not only in the design of policies, but also across the clean cooking sector, to overcome historical exclusion and increase women’s economic and social empowerment. The program will be led by the Alliance, in close collaboration with the Government of Haiti, local stakeholders, practitioners, the private sector, donors, civil society organizations, and UN agencies.
The Haiti Program Coordinator (HQ), Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves will directly support the Haiti Program by coordinating the timely implementation of the Program at HQ. This includes coordinating annual work plan and budget development, assisting with the development of requests for proposals, shepherding contracts, coordinating experts for workshops, monitoring budgets, grant reporting, and overseeing the logistics of the Haiti Program. S/he will also work closely with the market development, demand and behavior change, evidence and impact, and communication and partnerships teams on issues related to program coordination, market development, market enablement, communications, and partner and donor engagement.
The Haiti Program Coordinator will work closely with Alliance staff members from each programmatic area. The Haiti Program Coordinator will report directly to the Senior Director, Evidence and Impact, Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves.
Program Coordination (80%)
- Oversee the timely coordination of the activities being undertaken by the Alliance team members in Washington, D.C. and monitor adherence to all grant timelines and budgets.
- Serve as the principle liaison between the Port-au-Prince office and the Washington, D.C. to ensure effective communication.
- Support the development, design, and budgeting process for annual work plans.
- Convene regular internal coordination meetings/calls to monitor progress against the work plan, and convene calls with Global Affairs Canada and other donors as appropriate, to provide updates on progress against deliverables, address project challenges, coordinate travel, and share other relevant information.
- Manage annual reporting deadlines and deliverables
- Support the content development, design, and annual budgeting process for the Haiti Program.
- Work closely with the Budgets Manager and Grants and Contracts Officer to create standard operating procedures to adhere to donor rules and regulations.
- Manage the Haiti stakeholder consultation process, ensuring that government ministries, cookstove/fuel manufacturers, distributors, and civil society groups are consulted that their inputs are incorporated during the development of annual work plans and throughout the Program.
- Organize and facilitate in-country workshops/consultations for stakeholder engagement and education.
- Work with relevant directors to develop TORs and contracts for additional consultants for implementation of Program activities, research studies, and other projects as needed.
- Oversee the publication and distribution of research findings.
- Coordinate the translation of all project final documents for dissemination.
- Maintain and update the Haiti partner contact database.
- Manage logistics of Alliance staff visits to Haiti, including but not limited to transportation, visas, meals, lodging, and translation.
- Schedule meetings with stakeholders as requested and make necessary arrangements including booking rooms, conference call setup, etc.
- Perform other duties and/or tasks as assigned.
- Fluency in French required.
- Master’s Degree in international development, public health, environment, or related field.
- 3 years professional experience in international development, public health, environment, consulting, project management, or a related field required.
- Previous project management and/or compliance experience desired.
- Previous experience researching or working in Haiti desired.
- Personal commitment to Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves and UNF’s vision and the ability to articulate those to others in a convincing manner.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office to include Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with Haitian Creole a plus.
- Familiarity with the clean cooking sector or household energy a plus.
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- A choice of two health plans through CareFirst (PPO or HDHP with HSA),
- dental insurance,
- vision discounts,
- flexible spending accounts,
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution,
- group term and supplemental life insurance,
- short-term disability,
- long-term disability,
- health club discounts,
- commuter benefits, and
- employee assistance program.
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of parental leave.