Senior Associate, Environmental Health, Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves
Closing: Open until Filled
Job Location US-DC
Type Regular Full-Time
As the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves (Alliance) moves into a phase of driving investments, innovations, and operations to scale, the Alliance will maximize opportunities to demonstrate the health and climate benefits of adopting clean cooking technologies. The Senior Associate, Environmental Health, will provide programmatic, analytical, and administrative support to the Alliance’s Evidence and Impact team at the intersection of its climate and health portfolios. S/he will focus on the potential co-benefits of adopting clean cooking, including: linking household air pollution, ambient air pollution, and climate; bridging stove emissions and human exposure data; and supporting the development of investment case scenarios on co-benefits of clean cooking. Research portfolios will include both modeled and measured impacts.
The Senior Associate will directly support the Manager for Technology, Impacts, and Analytics by coordinating research projects and activities, including conducting desk research, assisting with the development of requests for proposals, shepherding contracts, coordinating experts for technical panels, and aiding in the development of resources and tools. S/he would ideally be a credible expert in the field and be able to lead discussions, present research findings, and represent the Alliance on health and climate/environment conferences and events. The role will be in support of the Alliance’s overall mission to save lives, improve livelihoods, empower women, and protect the environment by creating a thriving global market for clean and efficient household cooking solutions.
The Senior Associate will report to the Manager for Technology, Impacts, and Analytics, and will work closely with other members of the Evidence and Impact team.
Research Coordination & Communication (60%)
- Provide programmatic and administrative support of the Alliance’s environmental health research portfolio, including developing content for events, desk research, report writing, and supporting tool development as well as administrative support on grants and contracts
- Support the development of clean cooking investment cases with desk research, preparing reports and research summaries, and meeting coordination
- Convene experts to support the research prioritization process and/or development of requests for proposals
- Facilitate in-country technical workshops and related follow up activities, with active collaboration from Alliance grantees in country
- Develop and update communications materials, including newsletter articles, webinars, and factsheets as well as creative outputs such as data visualizations, storytelling, etc., based on research findings, studies, and other sector developments
Knowledge Management (25%)
- Develop and maintain processes to internally collect and review publications, statistics and other data relevant to all aspects of the Alliance’s work
- Support the Alliance team to use and cite these statistics, publications, and data in a robust and aligned manner
- Maintain internal database of research publications and reports, including data entry and curation
Overall Support of the Evidence and Impact Team (15%)
- Support the Evidence and Impact team to organize conferences, workshops, and events, including planning, logistics, and coordination with external partners and experts
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree or foreign equivalent in related field required, such as international development, engineering, environmental health, public health, public policy, etc. and at least 3-5 years of work experience in a relevant area;
- Strong preference will be given for candidates with demonstrated knowledge of or experience in household air pollution, ambient air pollution, environmental health, and/or development economics research or program implementation;
- Experience in the clean cooking sector is preferred;
- Ability to critically review research and translate findings for a lay audience;
- Proven analytical and project management skills, including the ability to move projects forward from inception to implementation to completion with adherence to deadlines;
- Strong communications skills (speaking, writing, editing, and listening); with attention to detail and broad strategy, as well as experience communicating to different audiences; additional consideration will be given to candidates with innovative approaches to communications including the ability to work with different tools and platforms
- Ability to follow instructions thoroughly while also providing a strategic and critical eye to identify and address additional gaps;
- Ability and experience in developing, maintaining, and enjoying effective working relationships with people, internally and externally, from a wide variety of types of organizations, cultural backgrounds, and with a wide variety of functional expertise;
- Willingness to travel, including internationally
- Flexibility, openness to new challenges, and the ability to thrive as part of a highly functioning, fast-paced group of professionals and to prioritize competing demands;
- Self-starter with the desire for continuous learning and the ability to synthesize information and respond positively to constructive feedback;
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy;
- Ability to represent the organization with professionalism, diplomacy and self-confidence;
- Personal commitment to the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves and United Nations Foundation’s missions; demonstrated knowledge of global issues and the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves and United Nations Foundation’s programs and goals
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- A choice of two health plans through CareFirst (PPO or HDHP with HSA),
- dental insurance,
- vision discounts,
- flexible spending accounts,
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution,
- group term and supplemental life insurance,
- short-term disability,
- long-term disability,
- health club discounts,
- commuter benefits, and
- employee assistance program.
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of parental leave.
Click here to apply.